Head aches   

Probably one of the least understood categories and least explored in bodybuilding. Here we discuss mental techniques and principles to help you overcome your challenges.

Head aches

Postby vatochurron » Mon May 16, 2005 6:33 am

Hey Wade,

Every time I push myself to the limit in my workouts, I always get these intense head aches. These head aches are somtimes so bad that I must stop my whole workout because of them. My head is pounding and I feel like it is going to burst. Is this normal when dealing with heavy or intense amounts of reps? What can I do to prevent or stop these head aches if or when they happen?
vatochurron

Postby WadeLightheart » Mon May 16, 2005 3:03 pm

I experienced a similiar condition early on in my training career.

It was quiet disconcerting and I went to a neurologist brain expert to ensure I did not have any severe medical conditions. I suggest you do the same just to be on the safe side.

However in my case I had developed exercise induced migraines which is relatively common in high intenisity athletes who have pushed there limits for a period of time usually early in the careers.

It can also be caused by acute allergies that are constriction blood flow to the brain so allergy test should be run as well. The constriction could also be causes by spinal imbalances which can usually be treated by a qualified chiropractor.

Check out all these options and get back to me ASAP 8) . One thing for sure take action immediately so you can quickly get back to the road to recovery and growth.
WadeLightheart
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 2:35 am

" Valsalva manoeuvre " possibly ?

Increases in intrathoracic pressure causes a reduction in the return of blood to the heart and can subsequently result in diminished blood supply to the brain . " hence " the headache

Just a shot in the dark but check your breathing technique and adjust if need be . Exhaling during the exertion will encourage one not to hold their breath .

Just a thought : Dale

Postby WadeLightheart » Wed May 18, 2005 2:56 am

That refers to internal pressure built up inside the body by holding the breathe and restrictin blood flow to the brain. The result is loss of consciousness or dizziness.

Exercise induced migraines are a totally different situation and one that should be examined by a neurologist, endocrinologist first before any conclusions are drawn.
WadeLightheart
Site Admin

Return to Training Psychology