pakistani dahl   

This section is for tasty recipes that help us build muscle ans stay lean. Fitness Girl will be the moderator of this forum since she is a cooking expert.

pakistani dahl

Postby JoshRayvals » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:04 pm

Fitness Girl,

I recently tried this recipe and it tastes great. The only problem i have is with the fried portion. I remember wade posting that frying any oil turns it into the bad form of fat. Is there anyway to alter this recipe so that it still tastes the same, but without frying anything? thanx a bunch

1 cup assorted lentils
3 cups water
1 diced onion
2-3 diced or crushed garlic cloves
1/2 peeled and chopped ginger root
1/2 can of chopped tomatos
2 tsps curry powder
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
4-5 tablespoon cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste

Heat water in pot until boiling. Add lentils and boil for one minute. Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer lentils until they resemble a thick paste. While lentils are simmering, heat oil in frying pan. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Fry until soft. Add curry, chili, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, saute for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatos and saute for another 3-5 minutes. Add fried spice mixture into lentil paste, stir and cook an additional 15-20 minutes.
JoshRayvals

Postby fitnessgirl » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:59 pm

Well, you really don't need this much oil for this recipe. You do have to use a little oil, so just get either Pam or better olive oil that can be sprayed. You can get in the cooking store a special spray can for it or some stores like Whole Foods sell packed and ready to use versions, Spectrum Naturals is the barnd I beleive.
Just spray a little on the non stick frying pan , you don't need that much. If you chop your garlic quite fine and slice you ginger relatively thin too then it will get ready faster and would not burn. You can always add j a dash of water just to keep the mixture from burning. Before you put the spices in spray the mixture again and when you add tomatos reduce the heat so it does not burn.

Another way would be to steam a little onion just to get it soft a bit ,and than through it on the pan with the rest of the stuff and some sprayed oil to get them crispy.

I can not suggest really suggest anything else without changing the taste of this. But is better to use less oil for your health as apposed to more.

Hope this helps a little.
fitnessgirl
Site Admin

Postby fitnessgirl » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:00 pm

Great recipe by the way :)
fitnessgirl
Site Admin

Return to Recipes