pan roasted quinoa   

This section is for tasty recipes that help us build muscle ans stay lean. Fitness Girl will be the moderator of this forum since she is a cooking expert.

pan roasted quinoa

Postby Zach Wagner » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:57 am

Have you ever pan roasted the quinoa? It starts popping and then you put some water on it until its done?
Zach Wagner

Postby fitnessgirl » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:32 pm

I have never tried cooking quinoa this way, I am not sure what this method does to the nutients in it
We do cook buckweed or "kasha" this way in Russia, so this I presume would work for quinoa as well.
fitnessgirl
Site Admin

Postby fitnessgirl » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:20 pm

Zach,

I have researched this subject a bit more and also consulted with Wade - you should not roast quinoa - it does kill the nurtients since it has to be roasted in oil and the Temrature at which it is popoed is to high and kills all the good stuff in it. Besides it is more ofen used as garnish this way since it lookes great and gives a nutty taste and to serve as a popcorn replacement it is to small. Just stick with the traditional method of cooking it or better of sprout it, and use it in your salads. This way it is biologically alive.
fitnessgirl
Site Admin

Postby Zach Wagner » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:04 pm

ok thanks...... Have you heard of soy nuts? I got some but they seem to be fryed I'm not sure though becuase they say "roasted"?
Zach Wagner

Postby fitnessgirl » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:49 am

If does not say dry roasted - they are fried in oil, most soy nuts have to be because they don't taste good otherwise. The best nuts for you are raw so they are bioavailable.

The only nut that is hard to find truly raw is cashew due to the shelling process that envolves steaming. I think there are only two companies in the world that produce truly raw cashews one is in Europe and one in Indonesia (you can buy it at eatraw.com) So stick with raw stuff Zach, beleive me it is much better for you.
fitnessgirl
Site Admin

Return to Recipes