Steaming your vegetables.   

This section is for tasty recipes that help us build muscle ans stay lean. Fitness Girl will be the moderator of this forum since she is a cooking expert.

Steaming your vegetables.

Postby fitnessgirl » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:18 pm

If you are going to cook your vegetables the best way to preserve the nutrients is by steaming. It an easy and very fast method of cooking.
The best is to buy an electric two level steamer, so you can cook your slow cooking veggies on the bottom and add the faster on on the top layer. Steamers are very cheap ($30 or so ) and usually last for a year or two if you use them daily. Most of them have timers and you only need to load your veggies and you can go about your business and wait for the timer to go of.

Remeber to slice evrything relatively thin, espesially your root vegetables, as it cuts the cooking time.
General time needed for your veggies :

Beats, Potatoes in jackets - 35-40 min.
Yams -25 min.
Carrots and green beans - 20 min
Chard, spinach, zuccini, kale and other greens - 5-10 minutes.
Asparagus- 5 min.

Don't overcook your vegeies - they should be a little cranchy and not mushy, otherwise you have loose all the nutrients.

Note: greens are best served with a little or a lot of freashly squezeed lemon on them.
fitnessgirl
Site Admin

Hey Fitnessgirl

Postby markgrauer » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:29 am

I have a microwave steamer. It steams the water below and so steams that vegies. It also takes only about 5 minutes and is very convenient, especially when adding them to a meat dish. I add them after they are steamed and only simmer them with the rest of the food for about 1 minute for a good flavor mix. Is there any problem using my microwave steamer?
To be the best, we must think like the best, and put God first in all things :-)
markgrauer

Postby fitnessgirl » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:44 pm

Honestly I never used one because I prefer conventional methods of steaming that does not envolve microwaves. If the food exposed even remotely to the influence of the microwaves I would stay away from it. Microwaving anything is not good for you, check out the post on the dangers of using microwaves.
fitnessgirl
Site Admin

Return to Recipes